The impressive castle at Nenagh is a bit unusual in its shape and style in Ireland, and when it opened to the public in 2012, it was added to Ireland’s list of top tier attractions. Views from the roof offer a 360 degree view of the town and surrounding area, and the castle is located within walking distance of the Tourist Office and Heritage Centre.
Although barricades are in place for safety, this site provides an all-access experience that allows visitors to settle into a window seat, peek up the old chimneys, and stand within the tall, narrow arches on the roof. Truly impressive.
A steep, narrow spiral staircase to the top, may discourage some visitors, but the view is definitely worth the climb.
- Irish Fireside: A Visit to Nenagh Castle (hours for July 2012 posted here)
- The Nenagh Guardian: Castle Now Open to Visitors
- The Standing Stone: Nenagh Castle
- Hidden Tipperary: Nenagh Castle
- Ask About Ireland: Nenagh Castle